September 6, 2011

hope for when we stumble

"For whoever keeps the whole law yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all."  James 2:10
"Mercy triumphs over judgment."  James 2:13b

As I read through the first part of the second chapter of James this afternoon, I couldn't help but ruminate over the last few days, few weeks, few months, and count just how many times I've stumbled.  And forget about just stumbling in "one point," for me it's more along the lines of "at least ten."

When I read verse 10, I checked out the scriptural cross-references for the word "stumble," and found hope for my discouragement:

First, James 3:2 tells us that "we all stumble in many ways."  You got that right!  I was thankful for the reminder that we all struggle in different areas, and even on the straightest path we will all encounter times when we stumble.  So I'm not alone in this.

Second, 2 Peter 1:10 instructs us to practice certain "things" so that we will never stumble.  If we look earlier in the passage, we find those "things" he's talking about:  faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.  Kind of like the fruits of the Spirit on steroids!  They all seem build upon each other, and while it's nice to have the list, it's also a little daunting at the same time.  How in the world can anyone keep this up in order not to stumble?

That's where the last reference comes in.  The twenty-fourth verse in the very brief yet very powerful book of Jude tells us that God is "able to keep us from stumbling."  So we don't have to do it on our own.  He knows that without Him we're weak, but He also knows that with Him we're strong and capable of so much more than we realize.  So many times the wrong thinking jumpstarts my guilt during times of stumbling; I figure that since I'm human, I'm also weak and useless, and there's nothing that can help me change.  I'm thinking that's the mindset in which the enemy wants me to stay. 

What I need to realize is that I don't have to be weak and useless.  That's part of Jesus' transforming work on the cross, as well as His resurrection; our old self with its sinful nature died with Him, and when He rose from the dead, He unlocked brand new lives for each of us as well.  I'm certain that this is good news for so many others too, unless I miss my guess on how alike we all really are. 

Now, as long as we're on this earth, we will struggle with certain temptations and sins.  That's our flesh trying to get us to return to our old ways.  And we will most likely stumble from time to time.  But God is quick to show mercy to us (James 2:13), and if we abide in Him, we have access to more power and grace than we ever thought possible.  If you've stumbled, ask God to take your hands and help you stand back up.  Dust off your knees, wipe your brow, and follow Him up that path He has for you.  I can think of no better guide than the One who laid the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment